2006年12月16日星期六

making all the difference

Who would guess that having iodine in your salt will make your IQ higher by 10 or 20?I never knew that and I am glad that the salt I used for the past 19 years have iodine in it unlike a third of the world. Yes a third of the world! It is such a staggering number I barely believed it. To get iodine in the salt you just have to spray it. Such a simple process yet the a third of the world are missing it.

I seriously never knew that having non-iodinized salt can effect retardation in infant.Just like having fluoride in water help in maintaining health. I am glad that I learn the importance of iodine and fluorine in biology and whether it is dangerous or not in chemistry. Yes iodine and fluorine is dangerous if not handled properly but when it is in your food in appropriate quantity it helps you a LOT!Plus we all know that any element in high concentration is going to kill anyone but not having it at all is going to defect you.

For all that matters I am glad that country like Kazakhstan is taking appropriate measurement in preventing retardation by making it mandatory for using iodized salt. I am glad that UNICEF is involved in this. I am glad that for once I read a happy news that more and more kids are having good nutritions. The world is too bleak right now that I avoid reading world news section.

You can read the full article of it here

1 条评论:

匿名 说...

yeah! tats true! too much of gud thing just bad for your health! ehhheee
it's been awhile rite!
my campus now blocked YM.
so i cant even login to YM.
but 2mrw i'm goin home!!! yeeyye!
c ya!
later